Friday, March 25, 2016

The Rena Oil Spill

Back when I was a freshman in high school in 2011, I remember that an accident concerning an oil spill happened near the coast of New Zealand. It's not as if this accident was one of the major oil spills, but I still remember it because my English teacher kept going on and on about it for almost two weeks. Since I'm researching water pollution now, I thought it would be an appropriate time to mention it.

The accident happened on October 5, 2011. The ship Rena was sailing in a clear weather from Napierto to Tauranga. However, it accidentally ran aground on the Astrolabe Reef. The ship was carrying over 1,368 containers that contained hazardous materials, heavy fuel oil and marine diesel oil. By October 9, the oil began washing ashore at Mount Maunganui beach and threatened the wildlife.

I find it strange how the number of the animals that died because of the oil spill and the other hazardous materials was not recorded. I tried to look it up on Auraria Library and google but I didn't find anything regarding this.
Even the Rena oil spill was not a major accident, a statistic for the number of dead animals should've been made and yet there's no such thing, which makes me wonder why? 



"Rena recovery and reactions." Oil Spill Intelligence Report 20 Oct. 2011: 1+. Business Insights: Global. Web. 27 Mar. 2016.
URL
http://0-bi.galegroup.com.skyline.ucdenver.edu/global/article/GALE%7CA281901131/51350c19034fa864ba100ed20fbb9c12?u=auraria_main



No comments:

Post a Comment